Data Protection Policy
The Qurtubah Trust Ltd. collects and uses personal information about staff, students, parents or carers and other individuals who come into contact with the Qurtubah Institute. This information is gathered in order to enable it to provide education and other associated functions. In addition, there may be a legal requirement to collect and use information to ensure compliance with statutory obligations.The Qurtubah Trust Ltd. is exempted from the requirement to be registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
This policy is intended to ensure that personal information is dealt with correctly and securely and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, and other related legislation. It will apply to information regardless of the way it is collected, used, recorded, stored and destroyed, and irrespective of whether it is held in paper files or electronically.All staff involved with the collection, processing and disclosure of personal data will be aware of their duties and responsibilities by adhering to these guidelines.
What is Personal Information?
Data Protection Principles
The Data Protection Act 1998 establishes eight enforceable principles that must be adhered to at all times:
- A. Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully
- B. Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes
- C. Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive
- D. Personal data shall be accurate and where necessary, kept up to date
- E. Personal data processed for any purpose shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes
- F. Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under the Data Protection Act 1998
- G. Personal data shall be kept secure i.e. protected by an appropriate degree of security
- H. Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area, unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of data protection
Qurtubah Trust Ltd. is committed to maintaining the above principles at all times. Therefore we will:
- A. Inform individuals why the information is being collected when it is collected
- B. Inform individuals when their information is shared, and why and with whom it was shared
- C. Check the quality and the accuracy of the information it holds
- D. Ensure that information is not retained for longer than is necessary